Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Couple Days of Busy, A Couple Days of Lazy

Well, this year's Valentine's Day will certainly be one to remember. Not because I was showered in love tokens, although I hope someday this may be the case, but a close family friend passed away on Thursday morning. His wife had called me on Tuesday night wanting to get in touch with my parents because she felt it wouldn't be long before he passed. So, my mom and dad went to go see him on Wednesday. I didn't go because I knew I probably wouldn't want to see him in his deteroiating condition. I didn't realize it had gone on so long, when he was first diagnosed with a brain tumor 15 years ago. He was just 54 when he died. I admire his courage and determination to fight for so long. Apparently, just before Christmas, he had surgery to remove another tumor that was growing on the outside of his head. The medication they gave him then caused him to have a stroke. He had gone blind and almost deaf. Mike was a strong gentleman, and I know our family will deeply miss him. I tear up just writing this. Our families had known each other since I was probably six or seven years old, so quite a while! We were a perfect fit, they had a son just one year younger than me. The families shared numerous interests. We knew them through racing. Mike was an accomplished engine builder and of course would call on Dad for carburetors to complete the package. We were always at each other's house every Sunday, we took family vacations, went to races together, spent holidays with each other. We drifted apart over the last several years, mainly, I suppose, because of Mike's health. He was visiting doctors every week, traveling to Duke, where he eventually donated his body, and even trips outside the state. I was fortunate enough to last see Mike on my Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary Party this past July. He was in a great mood and I will remember him this way. RIP Mike Jackson, I will miss you! Here's a pic of my parents with Mike and his wife Veda at their Anniversary Party.


Friday night, I met Sheri and Brandon for dinner at the Lone Star then back to their house to watch the first NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race of the year. It killed me not being in Daytona, but hopefully soon, I can get back to the track. It was a wild race. Sheri's husband, Doug, is crew chief for the No. 15 of Marc Mitchell and teammate to Kyle "Rowdy" Busch. I used to work for this team and will continue to pull for them, since I have many friends there and as long as Kyle is driving. That boy is a wheelman! Great job Rowdy on finishing second! Saturday, my parents and I rode over to Cherryville to visit with Veda for a while. She was doing well and having lots of visitors and food brought over. Mike and Veda's son, Camden, lives just up the road so we rode up there and checked out his house that he is remodeling and all the horses and cows he has. His dog was also in labor so we looked in on her. She looked so sad and helpless. I had made arrangements to go to the movies with my girlfriend Jamie, so we left Cherryville about 4:00 to head back home.

I met Jamie at Birkdale to go see Definitely, Maybe with Ryan Reynolds. It was pretty good and a heartwarming movie. Afterwards, Jamie and I headed over to Smokin' Guns to see Sunny Ledfurd. JR and Jay were there and Amanda and John showed up later too. Usual good crowd but as always, crowded. JR left before SL even started. We stayed there til about 1 a.m. then met back up with JR at NV. They play good music there but I just wish it wasn't so "dark." Still, JR goes because he can dance although he really wasn't on Sat. night.

Sunday, I had to get up early to prepare for my sister's baby shower. I was in charge of getting the balloons. Ok, so I over estimated or rather, underestimated the size of my car. I had 18 regular balloons and three huge mylar balloons in the shape of a monkey, elephant and lion all JAM packed into my car. It took me 10 minutes to try to get them all in there. I couldn't see a thing except what was in front or to the left of me. I was hoping I wouldn't pass a cop or run someone off the road because I couldn't see. Thankfully, I only had to get over into the right lane once. Baby shower went very well. It was mainly family and close friends, but a good size crowd. Jessica and Michael will have a very well-dressed daughter. I can't wait until Elizabeth Grace "graces" us with her presence. That should be around the first of April.

Monday, I got up and went shopping for a dress to wear to Mike's memorial service. Kohl's was having hella good deals. OMG, all their clearance was already marked down plus an additional 40% off of that, then by using my Kohl's card, I received another 20% off. I got a lot of stuff for $18! I also had a $35 gift card...what a great deal! Love that place...I'm thinking of going back there to work. I worked there for 3 and 1/2 years and since I need a job, I thought I might go back there.

After shopping, I came home, cleaned up and waited for mom and dad to come pick me up to go back to Cherryville for Mike's service. Mike was well-loved and admired by a lot of people. There were over 200 people there to pay their respects and honor Mike. After the service, there was food. Mike's wish was for it to be more of a party than a funeral so we celebrated. After most people left, the close friends went back to their house and hung out. Mom and I went with Veda to see the puppies that were born on Sunday. They were so cute and tiny. She had 12 puppies, quite the litter! They were born to a golden lab and fathered by a chocolate lab. There were eight goldens and four blacks, no chocolates! Too funny. We stayed there til about 9:45, quite a long day.

Since then, I've just been hanging out at the house being lazy. Oh, take that back. Tuesday, I went bowling with Kristen, Rocketman, J-Money and Lori. That was fun. Afterwards, the girls went to the Rusty Rudder. I hadn't been there in so long. I had a few people say they had missed seeing me out. I've just been lazy and trying to money-saving too. It was good to see them.

I have my first Silpada Group meeting on Saturday morning. That should be exciting and also get to view the new pieces that just came out on Sunday. Saturday night, I'm supposed to go to Chris Trausch's surprise party at Kabuto. Then who knows after that...we shall see. I haven't seen Carrie in a while and she went to New Orleans last weekend with her cousin and friends. Becky's in Phoenix right now. What is up with these people taking trips!? I want to go somewhere!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you are keeping busy.

I have thought about working for Kohls. Just something p/t to get me out.

Have a great weekend!